Tuesday 29 May 2012

Dreams are impartial, spontaneous products of the unconscious psyche, outside the control of the will. -- Carl Gustav Jung

Dreams intrigue me. I am endlessly fascinated by them. 


Dream interpretation has always been an integral and notable component of psychoanalysis. Both Jung and Freud practised it extensively in their dealings with patients, for I recommend Jung's Memories, Dreams, Reflections and Freud's The Interpretation Of Dreams. These books are excellent resources towards understanding principals and works by the two masters of psychology, even though I am ashamed to admit that I have yet made an attempt to finish them.


Dreams are messages put forward by our subconscious mind after we quiet down from all the noises and activities during the day. This is when we become most receptive and open to the subconscious and unconscious. Understanding dreams can be of great assistance towards tapping into the past, present and future as well as understanding our own personality makeup and development. Some may argue, but what I have come to realise is that the literal translation of dream symbols is only secondary. We should be paying attention to how we feel during and after the dreams, whether it is exhilarating, entertaining or exasperating, or all of the mentioned emotions combined. 


For one who has a rich imagination such as me, you can only envy the sort of adventures I embark upon in a dream state. So here is a snippet of the dream I had lately:


Day 1






 Day 2




What are your thoughts on interpreting this dream?


Two of my friends have kindly offered their interpretations on what it could mean:


1. Path to higher spiritual evolution and understanding


2. Silence is gold


Interesting.


OK. Perhaps not every dream must mean something, but for me, the fun is sometimes in the pondering. 


After some moments of deliberation, indecision hence reaching no conclusion, all of a sudden, it had occurred to me. Maybe what I can take away from this dream is the message of learning to TRUST. 


We don't always know what is happening around us or where we are going in life, but we can learn not to be afraid of the unknown.  We may not be clear on the how and why and what at certain points during the stage of our development, but it is OKAY to not to know everything. Eventually, the veil will be lifted, the answers will be revealed and the necessary guidance will be delivered to help us make our way forward. All in good time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment