Wednesday 18 July 2012

The time of Fable is over, the time of History has begun. -- Josephine

Until recently, I had never learnt to truly appreciate the value of history. The present beholds happiness, and the future promises infinite possibilities, what is the purpose of examining and dwelling on things that have already occurred? So I believed.


Random events that happened in the past few weeks however gave me a window to look into my own past, an opportunity to look into my own long forgotten history. As I sought for meanings and answers, again, astrology does not disappoint me. This occurring is coincidental to Venus (which configures prominently in my chart) transiting through the 4th house, which amongst other things, represents our roots, earlier conditionings and the past. In a sense, with Venus illuminating that particular area of life, it evoked more of the deeper emotional patterns and unconscious responses to surface into awareness, hence offering better integration into the psyche. Although at first uncomfortable, I could not resist what had been asked of me hence decidedly putting myself under the microscope. 


The finding, perhaps surprisingly, brought out that some of my present behavioural patterns, and most importantly values, are still in consistency with those that I had held a long time ago. The understanding of the norm is that people change, as we encounter roadblocks and adapt to circumstances, we learn and we grow and we become different. But maybe there are parts of us which prevail relentlessly constant. So should I congratulate myself for staying true to the core of who I am, or are there repeatable lessons still to come until I get it 'right'? To what extent can we allow ourselves to be changed yet remaining authentic and true? 


So the past does come back to haunt us. Time is not as linear as I had imagined; past, present and future are multi dimensioned and inter-layered in such a way that they continue to influence one and another. This brings to mind what George Orwell had once said, 'Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.'


Any consequences resulted from decisions made in the past are irreversible and irrevocable. So what exactly are we supposed to learn? What does history really teach us?


Perhaps because Venus has not finished gracing through my 4th house, although a lot of reevaluations are undertaken, I do not yet have an answer. Buoyantly hopeful however, clarity will eventually present itself.

0 comments:

Post a Comment